supermikenews

My views on software, programming, Linux, the Internet, government, taxation, working, and life.

Saturday, July 15, 2006

PHP6 or PHP7 Should Have Some Improvements


I have used PHP4 and PHP5 awhile now, and I can tell you that I am still always grabbing the manual to understand the sequence of function parameters for String Library functions. In some cases, if you have a haystack, needle, and a source parameter, you may have to reorder these with one function, and another way with another function. Instead, I call for standards here. Make everything consistent.

The same goes for the date and array libraries, but I also want to state that the date library badly needs a DateDiff() function and it also needs to be powerful enough to handle different timezones along the way.

All three of these libraries simply have too many functions. They need to have a slightly reduced set with a wider array of functionality.

Of course, I don't want to break old code, so I'd like to see these introduced as new libraries, such as "String2", "Date2", and "Array2", for instance.

And how many of us would like to be able to replace "->" with "." (optionally, with perhaps something like PHP8 only supporting ".")? How many of us would like to see a requirement of "." be used when a period is used to concat sentences, thus improving readability?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home